Delicious meals prepared with the freshest ingredients are something that everyone can enjoy, and you can have the satisfaction of bringing that joy to our residents, families and guests each day by joining the Carefield Living team. As a cook at a Carefield Living Community, you will assist in preparing fresh, nutritious and tasty meals and snacks that will help keep our residents happy and healthy.Job Summary:
This position assists the Dining Services Director in preparing appealing, nutritious, heart-healthy, tasteful and fresh meals for residents, prospective residents, families and guests.
- Support the mission, vision, and culture of the organization through positive communication and leadership.
- Contribute to Community relationships by demonstrating cooperation and professional conduct with residents, families, fellow associates, physicians, pharmacies and other vendors or persons.
- Contribute to team effort by being flexible in work assignments; by furnishing support; by taking initiative; and by understanding how this position affects and compliments all other Community positions.
- Able to maintain work pace appropriate to given work load. Perform activities on schedule while maintaining regular attendance and punctuality within specified tolerance.
- Prepare salads, bake desserts, and complete menu meals on time and without the direct supervision of the Dining Services Director.
- Reads, interprets and follows production sheets.
- Safely operate all kitchen equipment and dishwashing machine.
- Clean and sanitize ovens, grill, work space, and cooking utensils.
- Check food orders delivered against invoice.
- Be available for weekend coverage and on-call situations assigned on a rotating basis.
- Added Responsibilities
- Respond appropriately to changes in the work setting.
- Perform other related assignments as required.
- Be familiar with Northstar Senior Living Policies & Procedures Manual and Northstar Senior Living Associate Handbook.
- Be prepared to work in any area of the department.
- Act on constructive feedback by listening to supervisor(s), customers and peers and use it to improve performance.
- Maintain resident, employee, and community confidentiality.
- Respect Resident’s Rights.
- Demonstrate positive attitude and ability to work well with all people, particularly the elderly.
- Promote positive work environment that emphasizes teamwork.
- Demonstrate willingness to help other staff whenever needed.
- Demonstrate awareness of sanitation regulations in handling and storing food.
- Demonstrate awareness of safety rules in the kitchen.
- This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent certificate and at least two years experience with food preparation, food purchasing, kitchen safety, sanitation, and menu preparation in a restaurant, health care facility, or institution.
- Speak, read, and understand the English language.
- Read and follow instructions, recipe books, menus, and food labels correctly.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and the ability to work well with all people, particularly the elderly.
- Demonstrate willingness to help other staff when needed.
- May be required to hold valid First Aid Certification.
- Maintain mental alertness, attention, and concentration for necessary periods.
- Apply common sense understanding and carry out instructions (written, oral or diagrammatic).
- Adapt to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances, or standards.
- Regularly required to sit and talk or listen.
- Able to stand, stoop and bend frequently, lift up to 50 pounds and push up to 50 pounds. Also must have the ability to talk, hear, sit, use hands and fingers, handle/feel objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision requirements for this job include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust the focus of the eyes.
- Possess adequate physical stamina to move freely about the Community and assist residents where needed, including in emergency situations.
The physical demands described must be met by every associate. Reasonable accommodations may be considered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Must be willing and able to work required and scheduled shifts, including evenings, weekends, overtime and holidays.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to noisy.
- Withstand heat from cooking area and cold from below-zero freezer.