Caregiver/Personal Care Attendant PM Shift
This position provides direct care assistance to the resident in a manner that meets or exceeds Community expectations, including being familiar with and prepared to fulfill responsibilities as outlined in the following position descriptions:
- Personal Care Assistant to Residents
- Dishwasher/Kitchen Helper
- Bus Person
- Support the mission, vision, and culture of the organization through positive communication and leadership.
- Contribute to Community relationships by demonstrating cooperation and professional conduct with residents, families, fellow associates, physicians, pharmacies and other vendors or persons.
- Contribute to team effort by being flexible in work assignments; by furnishing support; by taking initiative; and by understanding how this position affects and compliments all other Community positions.
- Able to maintain work pace appropriate to given work load. Perform activities on schedule while maintaining regular attendance and punctuality within specified tolerance.
- Provide assistance or reminders with activities of daily living, including grooming, oral hygiene, bath/shower, hair cleaning and brushing, and transferring to and from activities and meals, as needed.
- Provide assistance with resident’s personal environment (e.g. clothing, linen, and personal belongings).
- Lift and/or transfer residents as needed.
- Assist in meal preparation/presentation, serving to resident, and other dining-related responsibilities; record and report changes in resident’s eating habits to the supervisor.
- Make resident rounds every two hours as required in residents’ service plans or as circumstances dictate.
- Record and report changes in resident’s condition to the supervisor including but not limited to changes in resident’s ability to perform activities of daily living, skin changes, bruising, etc.
- Use approved charting criteria and procedures to record pertinent information in resident charts.
- Immediately report all incidents or accident involving residents to the Resident Care Director/Supervisor and record all necessary information on the Resident Incident and Accident Reporting Form.
- Maintain a clean, safe and orderly environment by performing general scheduled housekeeping for resident involving cleaning laundry, bedrooms, dining area, living space, bathrooms, kitchen, etc.
- Initiate and participate in leisure activities provided for residents; encourage resident to socialize and participate in planned activities and programs to develop friendships with other residents.
- Follow proper procedures in emergency situations and respond promptly and positively to resident requests for assistance, including emergency pull cords, telephone calls, and requests from family and friends.
- Correct and prevent environmental hazards in an appropriate and safe manner while observing universal precautions and infection control procedures.
- Immediately report any suspected abuse, neglect or misappropriation of resident funds or property to immediate supervisor.
- Perform work assignments and attend required in-service training.
- Respond appropriately to changes in the work setting.
- Be familiar with Carefield Living/Northstar Senior Living Policies & Procedures Manual and Associate Handbook.
- Perform other related assignments as required.
- Attend required in-service training.
- Be willing and able to work in any resident care position.
- Act on constructive feedback by listening to supervisor(s), customers and peers and use it to improve performance.
- Maintain resident, employee, and community confidentiality.
- Respect Resident’s Rights.
- Demonstrate positive attitude and ability to work well with all people, particularly the elderly.
- Promote positive work environment that emphasizes teamwork.
- Demonstrate willingness to help other staff whenever needed.
- Observe standard precaution procedures and all safe workplace measures.
- Report any suspected or observed abuse, neglect or misappropriation of property or funds of a resident to the appropriate licensing agencies.
- Perform duties under the direction of a licensed nurse, within the scope of certified practice, and within verified skills competency.
- Pursuant to state regulations, must remain awake.
- This position prefers a high school diploma or equivalent certificate and a competent history in a similar facility.
- Must possess valid First Aid Certifications and, according to state regulations, may need to possess current CPR, Certified Nursing Assistant Certification, state certifications, and pass an examination and/or skills evaluation. Also, must meet requirements for continuing education and maintain all license(s).
- Speak, read and understand English fluently.
- Maintain mental alertness, attention, and concentration for necessary periods.
- Apply common sense understanding and carry out instructions (written, oral or diagrammatic).
- Adapt to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances, or standards.
- Regularly required to sit and talk or listen.
- Able to stand, stoop and bend frequently, lift up to 75 pounds and push up to 50 pounds. Also must have the ability to talk, hear, sit, use hands and fingers, handle/feel objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision requirements for this job include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust the focus of the eyes.
- Possess adequate physical stamina to move freely about the Community and assist residents where needed, including in emergency situations.
The physical demands described must be met by every associate. Reasonable accommodations may be considered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Must be willing and able to work required and scheduled shifts, including evenings, weekends, overtime and holidays.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to noisy.